Orphans is a leading end-to-end marketing agency based in Herefordshire. We are seeking a talented and experienced full stack PHP web developer with an emphasis on WordPress theming and React development. If you are passionate about creating bespoke and scalable WordPress websites we would love to hear from you.
We are a forward-looking WordPress company and you will be joining a team that thrives in making use of the platform's newest advances for developers, in particular heavy use and development within the block editor. We create solutions to client specifications and do not use marketplace themes nor mould a website's functionality around a 3rd party plugin capabilities when creating our own solutions provides a better experience all round; CMS and visitor experience always comes above developer convenience. If the idea of getting down to the nuts and bolts of WordPress excites you, we will be a good fit.
You will joining the team responsible for scoping, developing and testing new builds, as well as maintaining and extending our existing WordPress websites when their requirements evolve. You will work closely with cross-discipline teams to ensure the delivery of high-quality websites that meet our clients' requirements. We also have a growing suite of open source WordPress tools that we use as part of day-to-day work and we welcome all our developers to help shape those as new ideas arise.
Our agency occasionally applies our deep knowledge of web technologies to help clients make cost effective mobile apps, especially where they can tie into other web services that we are developing concurrently. If you have some experience using React Native or an interest in applying your existing React knowledge to that area it would be a desirable extra skill to offer.
Commercial development experience is required, with a proven track record for delivering new projects and maintaining existing websites.
- Scope, develop, and maintain high-quality WordPress websites
- Develop custom WordPress block editor components
- Assist with the development & maintenance of React Native apps (desirable)
- Work closely with cross-discipline teams, designers, project managers, and other developers to deliver high-quality solutions on time.
- Communicate ideas and feedback your work directly with clients
- PHP and WordPress development
- Develop WordPress websites using custom themes and plugins
- Ability to design and implement reusable and maintainable WordPress block editor code
- Experience with integrating external data sources and APIs into WordPress block editor components (desirable)
- Understanding of WordPress best practices for performance and accessibility
- Familiarity with React component lifecycle methods and hooks
- React Native experience (desirable)
- Accessible HTML and CSS
- Experience with version control systems, particularly Git
- A very good eye for visual accuracy and usability
If you feel you are currently lacking in one or two specific skills but are otherwise keen to join our team, we do encourage applications from the right candidates who have a proven aptitude to quickly pick up new skills on the job.
- A methodical approach with a keen eye for detail
- A continuous desire for learning and staying up to date with industry knowledge
- Self-driven and comfortable working independently or with others
- A thought leader who shares their development ideas to lift the entire team
- Good communication (within a team and with clients)
- A genuine team player
Our office is based in Leominster, Herefordshire. As a creative agency we do like to encourage at least some shared office time so teams can intermingle and share ideas more naturally, but we are flexible about working arrangements so this role is open to remote or hybrid candidates.
You can expect:
- Free parking
- Modern office setting
- Growth opportunities
- Casual work attire
- On-the-job training
- Safe and supportive work environment
If you would like to apply for this position please send your CV and a covering letter to the email address below. Please include details about why you would be the perfect person to fill this role. You may also use these details to request more information about the position.